Saturday, March 8, 2014

My Mother's Last Journey

...
Lakshmi Subramanyam, 82 years.
Born in Triplicane, Madras.
Born to Aandam and Vayacheri Nataraja Ramachandra Iyer.
Born with an elder bro Gopalakrishnan & a younger bro Sethuraman.
Married to Aangari Kandaswamy Subramanya Iyer.
Mother of 7 sons.
Grandmother to 5 grandsons & 3 granddaughters.

In November 2013, I had an audience with an Agasthya Siddhar to seek his advices to sort out some shortcomings in my personal life. When I left his place, I just asked him about my mother's 'andimakalam' for which he said that after 3 months, her condition will become worse and within 3 months the end will come to her. And she will undergo a slight painful death. I informed this meeting and his words to my mother and requested her to be very careful from February onwards.

In the third week of January 2014, she migrated to Chennai from Bangalore. At that time she was completely down. Cannot move on her own. Brother Ramesh resigned his job and went with her to take care of her. My mother always do the things by applying some algorithms. And we never question her about her doings. Originaly she expressed her desire to settle down at Pune since my father and her mother breathed their last there and she intended to be cremated on the same place where these two had been cremated.

But she changed her plan and expressed her desire to move to Chennai. A day before her departure, she casually uttered to my bro Swaminathan that she would not come back.

In the last week of January 2014, she had experienced diffculties in breathing and was admitted in a hospital. After a week she was discharged. On the 10th Feb night, she had problems in dischaging urine and admitted in hospital. We were told that her two kidneys have failed and doing dialysis at this age is not at all advisable. They asked us to take her home. Except bros Ramesh & Suresh, none were there. I was in ThiruMandurai for abishekam and other bros at Bangalore.

On hearing this Kumar & Satish reached Chennai but I could not as I was on way to Bangalore from Trichy. On 11th morning, I was told that mother's condition becoming question mark. Planned to go by car with Srikanth in the night. But at the late night, Srikanth was asked to go to Pune on official grounds and train tickets were booked for me and Usha for next day ie 12th. But in the 12th morning, Srikanth postponed his Pune visit and we started by Vento to Chennai around 9.30 am. On the way, he had to attend to so many conference calls and we have reached Chennai around 5 in the evening. Bro Swaminathan had come on 12th morning.

By the time, my mother started to loose her memory power. With great difficulty, she was able to recognise me Usha and Srikanth. And she asked me in a good tone 'nee saptaya (did you eat)'. I informed Umakanth and Kanu to rush immediately to see my mother. Around 8 in the night, they came along with Nagars. But my mother could not recognize them. Fortunately 10 days earlier, both Umakanth & Kanu called on my mother and my mother conversed with them.

My mother's pulse rate was drastically dipping around 8 in the night when Umakanth came. I have asked him to return back with Usha and they left immediately. Srikanth also left. But slowly the pulse rate had come to normal level. Since the situation was not alarming, bro Swaminathan also left for Bangalore.

The rest had gone to sleep. Ramesh and Kumar were sleeping near mother. Around 1 in the night, we all woke up and found that our mother's breathe slowly reducing. We were holding her and watching her. A sudden sound went off from her mouth at 1.30 and the end came.

The end was clocked as 1.30 am on Friday the 14th February 2014 but as per our Panchangam it was 13th Thursday night, Kumba Maasam Sukla Palsham Sathurdasi Thithi.

Satish and Narayanan to hospital to fetch Doctor to certify the death. Doctor came around 2.20 and certified. Text messages sent to all close relatives at 2.30 and informed them that the Cremation will be done before 12 noon on 14th.

Around 3.30 am, Sundu Chithappa, Thangam Chithi, Meena Authai, Sethu Mama, Vimla Mami, Prakash, Raju and Ravi came. Then after an hour, Saradha Chithi, Goma Authai, Akila, Kanchana, Priya, Rama, Uma & her parents came. Srikanth came at 6 and Usha, Umakanth & Kanu came at 7.30 in the morning. And Balu.

The Final Rites started at 9.30 and went for an hour and half. Were informed that Swaminathan is driving from Bangalore with Rekha, Akshay & Vinuda. By 12 noon, started the Last Journey. The pal bearers were Prakash, Ravi, Raju and Balu. All menfolks to cremation ground. Waited for Swaminathan. Then MayanaBhoomi Samskar. Then lit the pyre. Mother gone with flames.

Next day, collection of bones and ashed, and immersion into Ocean.

By noon, left for Bangalore. Srikanth on wheels. Me Usha and Sama. Reached OBz around 9 in the night, after dropping Sam at his place. Next day came, Ramesh Kumar Satish by train.

The Rituals for 9th Day to 12th Day were performed at a hall nearby Lakeview Sri MahaGanpati Temple, Ulsoor Lake. Rajesh came for 10th Day ceremony, for Kuzhi Tharpan. Gopal & Chandu came.

The 13th Day Suba Sweekaram was done at mother's place in Jogpalya. Sundu Chithappa came.

It was planned to perform the Rituals, 27th Day Oonamasigam to Varushapdigam at OBz. May the God and the departed Mother bless us.

An Astonishment ...

On 09/11/2013 when I met the Agastya Siddhar, he said that after 3 months my mother's health will become worse and within 3 months the end will come. Also he uttered a Tamil sentence when I was about to leave him.
That was,
" Kumba Udayathila, Unakku pidicha Sivarathiri velaiyele, Pakshi paranthadum ". I could not understand the meaning and scribbed in on my ipad. And totally forgot.

I met him on 09-11-2013. He said, after 3 months her health will become worse. We admitted our mother at hospital on 10-02-2014, that was exactly after 3 months from 09-11-2013. The end came on 13th night, that was after 3 days.

After completion of Suba Sweekaram function, when I was looking for a reference in my iPad I came across this sentence.

When I dissected it for the meaning, I was stoned.

The end came to my mother at 1.30 in the very early morning. That day was the First of the Tamil month Maasi and the Thithi was Sathurdasi.

When I was doing the rites, the Vadyar said 'Kumba mase, Sukla pakshe, Sathurdasyam".

For every Maha Shivratri I used to give Honey for abishekam to our Kuladeivam for Moonam Kalam.

Apply these parameters to the Sidhhar sentence.

" Kumba Udayathila, Unakku pidicha Sivarathiri velaiyele, Pakshi paranthadum "

Kumba Udaythila = at the start of Kumba = the First Day of Kumba Masam

Unakku pidicha Sivarathiri velaiyele = Moonam Kalam 1 am to 3 am & Sivarathri is Sathurdasi Thithi

Pakshi paranthadum = bird will fly away = Soul departed

My mother passed away at 1.30 on the first day of the Tamil month Maasi (Kumba Mase) on the Sathurdasi Thithi.

The Siddha Vakyam never fails.

1 comment:

  1. ஆழ்ந்த துக்க சமர்ப்பணம்.

    ReplyDelete